Wednesday, February 26, 2014

World Read Aloud Blogging Challenge #2


I'm participating in the World Read Aloud Day Blogging ChallengeHere's my 2nd entry: 

Week 2:  Adult & Child

I had a chance to talk to a couple of our 1st grade students this week :)

Q: I think everyone in the world should read...



Me: This is such a tough choice - I have so many favorites! But I do think everyone should read Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  I think this is a perfect story.  The plot, the illustrations, the layout design - perfection! It is a classic. It won the Caldecott Medal in 1964. It has proven to have real lasting power.  I heart this book.


  

Shane:  I think everyone should read children's books especially Elephant and Piggy books.
Lila: I think the same as Shane. But everybody should read Pigeon books too.

Q:  If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...



Me:  Eric Carle.  During the Global Read Aloud this school year, my classes and I had a chance to watch Eric Carle reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar via his website. He was charming! He was warm!  His eyes twinkled! We all loved him.

Shane:  My mom and Mrs. Elrick, my teacher.
Lila:  My mom and dad.

Q:  When I read aloud, my favorite person to impersonate is...



Me:  This would have to be Mo Willems. I know I do a poor job of attempting to be like Mo, but when he reads/tells one of his stories, well, there is nothing like it!  He becomes Pigeon.  He become Elephant.  He becomes Piggie.  His characters come to life.  They're BIGGER than life.  That's Mo.

Shane:  Elephant!
Lila:  Elephant too!  
Me:  Hmmmmm.... seems we have a theme here :)

Q:  The genre or author that takes up the most room on my bookshelf is...

Me:  Here's a pic of a few shelves from my home library:
Children's books, of course!
Shane:  I have about a millions books!  I have 26 books by R.L Stine   
Lila:  Fairy books.  I have a lot of them!

Q:  My favorite part about reading aloud or being read to is....

Me:  I love sharing my favorite books and authors/illustrators with students, teachers and friends!  I love sharing my love of picture books and feel very lucky that is what I get to do everyday at work.  I also love hearing others read aloud.  To hear the "voice" of an author through different person, always entertaining and enlightening.  Reading aloud, either by me or listening to someone else, makes my heart sing.  As Kate DiCamillo, the  current National Ambassador for Young People's Literature says,  "stories connect us." 

Shane:  Finding out what the book is about.  Finding out what the surprise in the book is.
Lila:  I like when my dad changes his voice with the characters.

WRAD Blogging Challenge #3 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Memorial School Library Blog!