Monday, February 10, 2014

Introducing.... World Read Aloud Day!


I'm so excited to announce that Memorial School will be participating in World Read Aloud Day! We will be incorporating WRAD into our Read Across America celebration throughout the week of March 3-7. What perfect timing to have two reasons to promote and celebrate literacy. According to LitWorld, a non-profit literacy organization fostering resilience, hope, and joy through the power of story:
World Read Aloud Day is about taking action to show the world that the right to read and write belongs to all people. World Read Aloud Day motivates children, teens, and adults worldwide to celebrate the power of words, especially those words that are shared from one person to another, and creates a community of readers advocating for every child’s right to a safe education and access to books and technology.
By raising our voices together on this day we show the world’s children that we support their future: that they have the right to read, to write, and to share their words to change the world.
As part of our participation, I have decided to take part in the WRAD Blog Challenge.  For four weeks, beginning today, I will be answering prompts along with many other bloggers who are participating in this global celebration of reading aloud. Thank you to library teacher extraordinaire, Matthew Winner for letting me know about this challenge.

Week 1: February 10 - 16

What is your earliest or fondest memory in which someone read aloud to you?

How fun to travel down memory lane for this purpose....  I have very clear memories of visiting our local public library in Fair Lawn, NJ.  It was always a highlight of the week for me.  I loved going into the small (at the time) building and finding the children's section.  I don't remember her name, but I have very warm memories of the children's librarian. She read us wonderful stories and helped us find great books to read. And, she was kind. I loved being surrounded by so many books and having the freedom to choose whatever I wanted. It was heaven to me.  Spending so many hours in the library and loving being there so much must have had a huge impact on me, because when I was in 6th grade and wrote my autobiography (which I came upon a few years ago!), I wrote that I wanted to be a children's librarian when I grew up.  Dreams do come true!

So, how will we be celebrating at Memorial School?  Dr. Quigley, our wonderful principal,
Michelle Callahan, our fabulous CSA Literacy Committee Chair, and I have been planning for the past month:  
  • decorations around the school
  • a kick-off assembly 
  • many community readers coming in to share their favorite picture books with our young students 
  • several Skype sessions planned with librarians and their students in Maryland, Georgia, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts 
  • we'll end our week by having a wear Red and White Day and by having the Cat in the Hat welcome our students as they enter school on Friday, March 7.

Sound like fun?  You betcha!

For more information go to:  World Read Aloud Day


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Memorial School Library Blog!